LTSP Training of Trainers: Call for Applications
FOSS Nepal Community and Help Nepal Network are jointly conducting a training for prospective trainers for Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) based e-Library. This is part of a series of trainings to be conducted in the future. To alleviate the inclining trend of 'Digital Divide' in Nepal, e-Library as an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tool that aims to incorporate both 'Health' and 'Education' sector is opted with its viability in terms of technical and economical perspective in reference to Nepal and the Nepalese. With the rising interest in LTSP by different groups involved in rural education, it has presently been a topic of discussion for both national and international donor agencies as well as the community beneficiaries. Due to its growing potential and magnitude, we are in search of technical manpower who would help us deploy LTSP based e-library as volunteers in different parts of Nepal. Hence, this training is an effort to create this manpower from among the students who can devote their time for the training and the project deployments.
The involvement of students in this training will provide them with enough expertise to be part of e-Library projects as technical volunteer. This will not only help the Help Nepal Network and FOSS Nepal Community achieve their goal, but, also the students as they will get a practical exposure about community work along with a chance to visit different parts of Nepal. They will also be learning a new system based on Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), and will further understand its potential in development of nation's ICT infrastructure.
To sum it up, the focus of the training is to provide training to prospective trainers which could create a pool of volunteers for deployment of LTSP e-Library all over Nepal.
Please see: http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=LTSP_Training_of_Trainers for more details.
Please disseminate it to your interested peer circle.
Date, Time and Venue
Two-day training covering all the essentials of the LTSP system installation and administration on December 15-16, 2007, at the end of which each participant will be awarded a certificate for the completion of their training.
The selected candidates will be notified about the time and venue by phone and/or email.
No. of Participants
20–25 participants on the basis of application form
Areas that will be covered
- Linux and Networking Basics
- LTSP specific administration
- System administration
Registration fee: Rs. 50 (for CD's and other materials to be provided)
Lunch and tea will be provided to the participants.
Please find the application form along with this email and send the completed application form in plain text format (.txt) to ltsp-tot [AT] fossnepal [DOT] org. The deadline for sending your completed application form is December 11, 2007 (Tuesday). Please refer below for the format of the application form. We will confirm receipt of the application immediately.
Please provide answers to all the following questions:
- Basic personal information:
- Date of Birth:
- School/College Name:
- Computer skills:
- Contact Address:
- E-mail address:
- Are you familiar with Linux Operating System? Yes/No
- Have you heard about LTSP before or not?
- Why do you want to participate in LTSP Training of Trainers?
- Do you think that the technical knowledge that you gain could be leveraged for carrying out community projects?
- If later we call upon you for participating in an LTSP deployment, how do you think you could provide your participation?
- Please make sure that all the questions are answered in order to be considered for selection
- The right of selection of the participants is reserved to LTSP Training of Trainers committee
- Only successful candidates will be informed by phone and/or email by Thursday December 13, 2007
- Certificates of the training will only be provided to those candidates who will be present throughout the training
Last Day for Applications: December 11, 2007
For further information, please contact:
- Roshendra Khadka (98510-42842)
- Shishir Jha (98510-87591)
- Email queries at ltsp-tot [AT] fossnepal [DOT] org